Bank Street Convent

"Organized February 26, 1857. The buildings are detached and were erected between 1857 and 1859. They are built of brick and stone, and combined cover a space of 200 x 300 feet. The chapel was erected in 1869, and solemnly consecrated to the Sacred Heart, May 1, 1871. There are 40 Sisters in the institution. The Reformatory contains 100 inmates. The late Rev. Henry Koering was for over 33 years chaplain of this institution." (Source: Souvenir Album of American cities: Catholic Churches of Cincinnati and Hamilton County edition, 1896. Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County.)

According to a short history published by the Sisters for their 1957 centenary, the school on Bank Street "opened to colored girls of the area in 1886, which work was later transferred to the country site [in Carthage]." (source: Centenary of the Sisters of the Good Shepherd in Cincinnati 1857-1957 [printed booklet], [1957?], p.20)