Development of Carthage Property
The new house of the Magdalen community was blessed in August, 1873. (source: "Good Shepherd," Catholic Telegraph, Aug. 28, 1873, p. 4)
"A school was opened in September, 1878...The old frame house [Gano homestead, from Bank St.] was carefully taken apart and rebuilt on the farm, where it became the home of destitute colored children, by whom it was occupied until they moved into the present fine brick building, constructed for them at "Our Lady of the Woods." A contribution of $1,000 was given by Mother Mary Catharine Drexel towards the erection of this house, and $2,000 were received from the Colored Fund through His Eminence, Cardinal Gibbons. " (source: Souvenir Album of American Cities - Catholic Churches of Cincinnati and Hamilton County, 1896, p. 169. http://cdm16998.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16998coll15/id/205474)
The Novitiate and Provincial House were transferred to Our Lady of the Woods in 1892, and the institution was incorporated in the State of Ohio in 1899 (source: Centenary of the Sisters of the Good Shepherd in Cincinnati 1857-1957 [printed booklet], [1957?])
In 1896, the Souvenir Album of American Cities - Catholic Churches of Cincinnati and Hamilton County noted: "The buildings are detached and were erected at different periods. Combined they occupy a space 500 x 500 feet. They are built of brick and stone, with the exception of the old Gano Homestead which is frame. There are at present in the institution 73 Professed Sisters and Novices of the Good Shepherd Order, 62 Magdalen Sisters, 110 girls in the Industrial School for White Girls and 90 girls in the Industrial School of St. Peter Claver, for Colored Girls. St. Peter Claver Industrial School is the largest institution of its kind in the world for colored girls."